Sam Winchester Is Better Than You
In response to the comment I got elsewhere that said Sam treats Dean like “garbage” –
- Abandons his own agenda to find John, stole a car and rushed to Dean’s aid, saving him and a girl in Scarecrow (1.11)
- Saves Dean’s life again in Faith (1.12), unwittingly take the life of an innocent person (without much regret)
- Prevents Max Miller from killing Dean. Sam’s desperation to help Dean was so great that his psychic abilities were amped up. (Nightmare 1.14)
- Prevents Dean from going down the dark path that Gordon Walker was trying to lure him onto by showing him that not all monsters were evil in Bloodlust (2.03)
- Asks Dean to shoot him in Croatoan in order to save lives in the future because he fears what he may become (2.09)
- Spends much of S3 guilt ridden and trying to figure out a way to get Dean out of his demon deal. (Dean responds with a shrug and an “I can live with that” in response to Sam’s guilt.)
- Prevents Dean from being bitten by Gordon, who has become a vampire, and kills Gordon (Fresh Blood 3.07)
- Goes completely off the rails in Mystery Spot (3.09) when he believes that Dean is dead and becomes what many refers to as robo!Sam. He is willing to do anything, sacrifice anyone to get Dean back.
- Recognizes in Dream a Little Dream of Me (3.10) that despite having embraced the hunting life, Dean holds a dream of living a normal life too with Lisa, and he makes Dean promise to go to Lisa when Sam jumps in the Pit because he knows what it was like for him when Dean was dead.
- In grief and desperation, falls prey to Ruby’s manipulations and his own desire for vengeance during the year that Dean was in Hell. Sam becomes addicted to demon blood in an attempt to become powerful enough to destroy the demon who took Dean from him.
- Never tries to make Dean feel guilty for breaking on the rack and breaking the first seal that started the apocalypse.
- Comes across as the villain in S4 for not listening to Dean about Ruby, but a lot of fans forget here that Sam and Dean had the same goal of killing Lilith. It wasn’t the goal they disagreed about it; it was the method.
- Decides to power up with demon blood and become Lucifer’s vessel in order to prevent him from fighting Michael and destroy the world. He doesn’t have the power to do that until he sees that Lucifer is going to beat Dean to death. Sam is then able to overcome the fallen archangel and jump in the Pit, taking Michael with them, in order to save Dean’s life. (Swan Song 5.22)
- Despite not “caring” about Dean when Castiel pulls him from the Cage in S6, Soulless!Sam recognizes how important Dean was to him and wants Dean with him when they are initially reunited.
- Immediately rejects Dean’s suggestion that he stay in an alternate universe where he’s wealthy and has a beautiful wife in The French Mistake (6.15) because “we aren’t even brothers here.”
- Reintegrates his fractured pieces despite his “tortured”-self asking him not to because he isn’t strong enough. Sam says he has to because he can’t leave his brother alone out there. (The Man Who Knew Too Much 6.22)
- Teams up with Jody to bring Dean back to the present in Time After Time (7.12)
- Saves Dean from a man who wants to be possessed by a demon and in his agitated state inadvertently lets Hallucifer into his head in Repo Man (7.15)
- Steals a car and rushes in a complete panic to save Dean (echoes of Scarecrow here) in Blood Brother (8.05).
- Chooses to continue hunting with Dean rather than go back to the safety of a normal life in Torn and Frayed (8.10)
- Saves Dean from a Hellhound and willingly takes on the demon tablet trials in order to prevent Dean from dying bloody as Dean seems to think is his fate in Trial and Error (8.14)
- Reveals that he is trying to complete the trials to make up for all the times he’s let Dean down and he’s willing to die to do that in Sacrifice (8.23)
And I just gotta ask, would you do all that for your sibling?